Avast is the World’s consumer security leader protecting more than 400 million PCs which is 40% of all computers in the World (outside of China). That actually makes Avast Antivirus the most popular security product. The essential protection is provided completely for free under product name Avast Free Antivirus. The last available version is 2017 (build 12.3.2280), but the beta of Avast 2017 has been already released.
Besides the Free Antivirus, the World’s most popular Windows PC antivirus, Avast offers another three products for protection of your PC or laptop – Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier. All Avast products are fully compatible with Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP (32-bit or 64-bit).
Basically, if you are shopping or banking online, we recommend Avast’s best-selling product – Internet Security 2017. It also includes silent Firewall against hackers, Anti-spam, and Anti-hijack protection. All in one convenient package. Four products are quite a lot, so here’s the simple comparison table which should help you to pick a product designed for your needs.
Plus during June 2017 we are offering a special discount – up to 37 % off on all Avast premium products.
|NEW Anti-Virus & Anti-Ransomware|
|NEW Integrated Password Manager|
|NEW SafeZone Browser|
|Safe Online Shopping & Banking|
|Running Risky Programs and Websites|
|Anti-hijack (Phishing) Protection|
|Firewall Against Hackers|
|Personal Data Protection|
|Anti-SPAM & Anti-Phishing|
|Automatic Software Updates|
|Delete Files with No Traces Left|
|Price for 1-Year, 1 PC License||Free* ($0.00)||$49.99 $34.99||$59.99 $39.99||$79.99 $49.99|
OR Download Free Trial
OR Download Free Trial
OR Download Free Trial
*Avast Licensing – Avast Free Antivirus can be used only for personal and non-commercial usage. It can be used forever for free and on multiple devices. It requires registration after 30 days and then each 1 year, but you can keep re-registering for ever. However if you’re a let’s say freelance writer using your PC for a living, you need to get a paid-for solution.
Avast Antivirus 2017 Free Download From Official Servers
- Avast Free Antivirus 2017 › online installer (6 MB) | offline installer (270 MB)
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2017 › online installer (6 MB) | offline installer (270 MB)
- Avast Internet Security 2017 › online installer (6 MB) | offline installer (278 MB)
- Avast Premier 2017 › online installer (6 MB) | offline installer (278 MB)
First Steps with Avast Antivirus 2017
After you download and successfully install the product, restart your computer to complete the installation process. Then we strongly recommend to run your first Smart Scan (Scan » Smart Scan) which includes quick scan for viruses and malware, scan for outdated software, browser scan for bad add-ons, router scan, performance scan and scan for weak passwords. Get ready to see cross-sell offer to paid products (mainly for Cleanup and Passwords), but you can actually fix all issues manually.
Once you finish your first Smart Scan, setup a regular automatic (scheduled) weekly Full System Scan (here’s how). Within the first 30 days, you need to register for a free 1-year license. The registration is very simple and requires only e-mail (can be a fake one as there is no confirmation).
- Installation – If you are not sure how to install Avast Antivirus 2017, just follow our step-by-step guide ‘How to Install Avast Free Antivirus 2017‘ on your PC or laptop
- Free License Registration – After the successful installation, you need to register the product to get the free 1-year license key
- Update – Make sure you keep your Avast virus definitions up-to-date and always running the latest program version available
- Support – If you need help with any else, check out our support section and feel free to submit your question
Avast Antivirus 2017 Screenshots
Compare Avast Antivirus 2017 vs. Competition
Of course Avast is not the only company providing free antivirus, there are actually many others. Probably the second most popular free antivirus is AVG AntiVirus FREE which offers excellent level of protection with reasonable detection rates but is quite heavy on the system resources. Also you need to install AVG Zen which is required to run AVG antivirus. Lot of AVG users are complaining about the massive up-sell offers messaging. In October 2016 Avast has acquired AVG company, but both products are still available. Read our detailed Avast vs. AVG comparison review.
Another very good option of free protection comes from Germany. Avira Free Security Suite 2017 (former Avira Free Antivirus) is the best free protection you can have. Avira is regularly the winner of independent tests (AV-Comparatives, AV-TEST) in detection, false positives and performance. Plus it comes with advanced features like anti-ransomware, free VPN (500 MB / month) and PC speed optimizer. The biggest disadvantage is a heavy effort to monetize free users and up-sell them to paid version through annoying pop-ups. Also the user interface is busy, old fashioned and hard to understand. Read our detailed Avast vs. Avira comparison review.
System Requirements for Avast Antivirus 2016 on PC or laptop
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- 256 MB RAM memory or above
- 1.5 GB of free hard disk space
- Please note that Avast antivirus 2016 (version 11) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
- These system requirements are relevant for all Avast core products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier)
Interesting Facts About Avast Antivirus
- Company was founded back in 1989 during the communist era in Czechoslovakia (nowadays Czech Republic). The headquarters has been always in Prague
- Avast is abbreviation of “AntiVirus Advanced SeT“, but it also means “stop” in the pirate language, which is very much suitable for the antivirus product
- In 1997 giant security company (at that time) from the United States, McAfee is using Avast engine to detect malware
- Avast wasn’t always a free product based on a freemium business model. Free antivirus (Home Edition) was launched only at 2001
- Avast is releasing and delivering more than 15 million virus definitions per month to each product, including the free version
- In 2016 Avast has acquired their biggest competitor AVG for $1.3 billion. Together they are protecting more than 400 million PCs which means 40% share in consumer market space (outside of China)