Avast Cleanup (sometimes misspelled as ‘Clean Up’) is PC optimization and speed-up tool available in all Avast antivirus solutions from the version 2015.10.3.2224+. In July 2015 it basically replaced Avast GrimeFighter which is now outdated and not supported.IMPORTANT UPDATE Avast has just released a brand new version of Cleanup called Avast Cleanup Premium 2019. Read our review and download it for free.
If you still see GrimeFighter offers in your Avast, you should definitely update to the latest version. Unfortunately, the service is not free but comes for a reasonable price. There’s also a free trial. Only the scan is available for free. However, there is also Avast Cleanup for Android which is completely free. It will clean and boost the performance of your phone without spending any money.
Avast Cleanup comes as a part of the Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security or Premier. Or you can download and use Avast Cleanup standalone application without using Avast antivirus.
WARNING Avast Cleanup Activation Code (License Key, Serial)
Lots of people are searching for the free Avast Cleanup activation code (license key) on the Internet. Please be aware there is no way how to download the activation code/key/serial for free. There are many websites in Google which claim to offer it for free or cracked, but actually, you will end up downloading malware. So be aware of what you are downloading and executing on your computer.
Many ‘Shady’ Sites Pretend to Have a Free Avast Cleanup Activation Code (License Key)
The only way is to pay $49.99 for the 1-year Cleanup license. Which we consider pretty good deal compared to all the features and benefits you will get.
Avast Cleanup Key Features and Benefits – What it Does?
- Makes your computer cleaner and faster
- Improves the Windows boot-times
- Frees up space on your hard drive
- Removes unnecessary apps
- Optimizes your system registry
How to Run a Free Cleanup Scan and Make Your Computer Clean & Fast
To run a scan and identify the issues you don’t need to pay for the activation code. You can do this completely for free. Open your Avast and go to ‘Performance‘ » ‘Cleanup Premium‘ » ‘Open Cleanup‘.
After the scan is finished, you can see how many issues in total have been found. To find out more about the issues, click on each item. If you are an advanced user, you will be able to fix some of those issues by yourself without paying for the subscription.
To fix all the issues click you need to go into detail of each section, unfortunately, there is not a single action which would perform all fixes at once. Once you finish cleaning of each section you should get something like this.
Avast Cleanup Customer Reviews – What Users Are Saying?
Going through the Avast Cleanup forum you will mostly see really bad reviews for Avast GrimeFighter. But with the new Avast Cleanup things have really changed and there is a lot of positive ones
- lilninjabullfrog on July 14: I emphatically recommend the new cleanup, I am completely satisfies with this program. My PC is running so much better and knowing that whenever I run the program it will only take a short time is really assuring to me. It even does more than the original, defragments the registry and it also will let you know what is wrong with it since the old version didn’t. So if you want to fix the issue yourself you can do so or at least you know what it is doing to cleanup and optimize your system. USE CLEANUP!
- robert406 on July 15: CleanUp has worked and removed a bunch of things that have accumulated on my PC over the years and though not running perfectly, it is running better, so hopefully the £15 has postponed the purchase of a new PC, at least for a while. Whole process took about 10 minutes.
- GetAvast.net Experience: We are using Avast Cleanup regularly and can totally vouch for this product. It really makes difference to your PC speed and loading times!
What is your experience with Avast Cleanup? Share your story in the comments section.
Avast Cleanup Pricing/Licensing – How Much Does it Cost?
To get the full license or activation code for Avast Cleanup you need to pay, it’s not for free. But you can use it together with the Free Antivirus. Also, the price is very reasonable considering the service it provides to your PC. You save a lot of time by starting and running your Windows faster. And you know, time is money.
You can purchase Cleanup directly from your Avast antivirus by going to ‘Performance‘ » ‘Cleanup‘ section or it will be automatically offered during the cleanup process. Pricing is as follows
- 1-year license $49.99
- 2-year license $99.99
Avast Cleanup Installation/Activation – How to Insert an Activation Code (License Key)?
After you finish purchase of the full license for Avast Cleanup you need to activate the product. You can do this by one of the following ways
- On the last step of the checkout click on ‘Activate license‘ and the product should be activated automatically
- Find the activation code in your e-mail and go to ‘Settings‘ » ‘Subscription‘ » find Avast Cleanup tab » click on ‘Insert activation code‘ » ‘Next‘ » ‘Yes‘
- If you can’t find the e-mail or activation code, open your Avast and go to ‘ACCOUNT‘. Register new or login to the existing Avast Account. Please note you need to use the same e-mail you have used during the purchase process of Avast Cleanup. Once you are logged in you should see all your purchase licenses, find the one for Avast Cleanup and click on ‘Use license’
For more details about the Avast Cleanup activation, you can watch the how-to video guide below.
Avast Cleanup Pop-up Notification – How to Disable Them?
When Cleanup detects some performance issues on your computer, Avast will from time-to-time prompt you to remove them. Typically using the pop-up notification saying ‘Your computer is running slowly!’ including the number of issues and blue ‘Improve performance’ button.
Avast Cleanup Pop-up Notification ‘Your computer is running slowly!’
Such notifications may be bothersome so here’s a simple tip how to disable them. You basically need to uninstall the Cleanup component from your system.
- Open Avast and go to Settings (link in the left-bottom corner) » ‘Components‘
- Find ‘Cleanup‘ and click on ‘Uninstall component’
- Confirm by clicking on ‘OK‘
Now you shouldn’t see any more Cleanup pop-up notifications or warnings but the service will be still available through ‘Scan‘ » ‘Scan for performance issues‘. For more details and options about disabling Avast pop-up notifications checkout our guide ‘How to Disable (Turn Off) for Free the Avast 2019 Pop-up Notifications‘.
Alternatively, you can remove Cleanup completely from your Avast antivirus, read the next paragraph for more details.
Avast Cleanup Uninstall/Removal – How to Remove it Completely?
Removing Cleanup from your Avast antivirus is really easy. The only thing you need to do is to uninstall the Cleanup component using the following steps.
- Go to Windows ‘Control Panel‘, find section ‘Programs‘ and click on item ‘Uninstall a program‘
- On the list of installed programs on your computer find Avast antivirus and click on ‘Uninstall/Change‘
- On the Avast Setup window go to ‘Change‘ and click on the ‘Continue‘ button
- From the list of Avast tools find ‘Cleanup‘, un-check it and click on the ‘Continue‘ button
- Now you should get the message ‘The product was successfully updated‘ just click on ‘Done‘
That’s it Avast Cleanup is now fully removed and you won’t hear about it anymore.
Avast Cleanup Refund – How to Get Back Your Money?
As other Avast products, also the Avast Cleanup comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you for any reason (i.e. Cleanup is not working on your computer) want to refund your purchased license, follow these steps
- Submit a ticket to official Avast Support at www.avast.com/support
- Select ‘Paid Subscription‘ » ‘Avast for Personal Computers‘ » ‘Windows PC‘ » ‘Avast Customer Service‘. Alternatively, you can use the direct link for submitting tickets to Avast Customer Service
- Select ‘Refund request‘ and fill in the form. We suggest to include your order number to speed up the process
- Someone from the Avast Customer Service will get back to you with the details of the refund process
If your ticket is without response for longer than a week, you can ask about the status on the Avast Facebook page.
Differences Between Avast Cleanup and (old) Avast GrimeFighter
- Cleanup is running under Windows like any other Avast scan, you don’t need to boot your system to Linux like with GrimeFighter. It also makes it much more stable and compatible
- Cleanup scanning engine finds 5x more issues and performs 10x faster than old GrimeFighter
- Cleanup contains more features like Registry Scan or necessary files removal after program update/uninstall
- Cleanup can show you all the issues upfront even if you don’t have paid for the full license
- You can’t run Cleanup without having any Avast antivirus installed. It doesn’t come as a standalone application
If you have purchased Avast GrimeFighter license in the past don’t worry, you will be automatically moved to Avast Cleanup if you update to the latest Avast version. There is no other action required from your side.
Download Avast Cleanup for Android for Free – Boost & Clean Your Phone, too
Besides the Windows version, there is also a Cleanup version for Android devices. The main difference is the Android version is completely free. You can download it, install it and use it without paying a cent! There are no ads, promotions or anything, it’s simply a great free app.
Also, user reviews are really positive. So far the rating on Google Play is 4.4 stars out of 120,000 ratings and 5 to 10 million installations.
Main features are similar to the Windows version. Its main purpose is to improve the performance of your phone and make it run faster and smoother.
- Removes junk by deleting unnecessary data from your phone
- Cleans unimportant stuff like cache, thumbnails, installation data or unused files
- Identifies the biggest apps, media and files on your phone
- Provides simple uninstall manager for all apps installed on your device
On the image below you can see the beautiful and simple interface of Avast Cleanup for Android.
Avast Cleanup for Android User Interface
Other Avast Products for Windows
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2019 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).
Avast Cleanup is also available completely for free for Android devices.
Please note there is the difference between Avast Browser Cleanup (free tool for removing bad add-ons from your web browser) and Avast Cleanup (antivirus component for cleaning and boosting the performance of your computer or mobile).