Besides the World’s most popular antivirus for Windows, Avast is offering a comprehensive antivirus for Apple Mac OS X (Macintosh). The product is called Avast Free Mac Security 2017 (version 11) and same as the Windows version it’s completely for free. It doesn’t even require the registration, so you can just download, install and use it without any hassle.
While some Mac users are still questioning the need of the antivirus/security software on OS X, we definitely recommend have Avast installed as the number of hacker attacks on Mac users is raising rapidly.
Avast for Mac Key Features & Benefits
- Award-winning antivirus engine with 100% detection rate (according to the independent test by AV-TEST and AV-Comparatives)
- Real-time protection with 3 layers (File System Shield, Mail Shield, Web Shield)
- Automatic streaming updates of the virus definitions
- Excellent performance – very low on system resources
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Completely for free – no registration required
Avast for Mac Free Download & Installation
Avast for Mac is unfortunately not available on iTunes or App Store. But you can simply download Avast Free Mac Security using the link below:
After you finish the download you can proceed to the installation. Installation process is really easy and doesn’t require any technical skills:
- Close the Safari browser, locate the setup file called ‘avast_free_mac_security.dmg‘ and run it
- Confirm the Avast License Agreement by clicking on ‘Agree‘
- You can customize the installation by clicking on ‘Customize’, click on ‘Install’ to start the installation
- If prompted enter the administrator name and password
- Once the installation is complete, you should get the confirmation screen
Please note it’s heavily recommended to uninstall any other antivirus/security software from your Mac before installing Avast.
Avast Free Mac Security User Interface
Avast for Mac User & Experts Reviews – What others are saying?
Avast Free Mac Security is also really popular among the users and technical experts. It is by far the most downloaded Mac antivirus/security on Download.com with more than 4.5 million downloads! While other competitors don’t have even half a million (Sophos 247k, Avira 80k, Norton 30k, Kaspersky 12k, McAfee 11k, Eset 9k).
Avast Free Mac Security is the most downloaded antivirus for Mac with more than 4.5 million downloads
Also the user reviews on Download.com are very positive. Avast Free Mac Security 2017 has 4.5 stars (out of 5) from 1,641users.
Avast for Mac is doing really well also in the independent tests. It has been certified with 100% detection rate by the German laboratory AV-TEST. Same results were measured also by the Austrian laboratory AV-Comparatives.
According to Tom’s Guide, Avast Free Mac Security was better in detecting viruses than the other paid solutions: ‘it was better at malware detection than all three of the paid antivirus solutions we reviewed‘.
Avast for Mac System Requirements – Will it run on your Mac?
Minimum system requirements are quite easy to comply and really nothing special. Avast Free Mac Security will run even on the older MacBooks (Air/Pro) and iMacs:
Avast for Mac Uninstall – How to remove it from your Mac?
If you decide to uninstall Avast Free Mac Security from your Mac, there is nothing special you would need to do compared to any other Mac application. To remove it simply follow the instructions below:
- Close Safari browser and open Avast by going to ‘Finder’ » ‘Applications’ and double-click on the Avast orange icon
- Open ‘Avast Mac Security‘ in the menu bar at the top-left, select ‘Uninstall Avast‘ and confirm (you may need to login as an administrator)
- Wait and the uninstall process finish and Avast Free Mac Security is completely removed
Unfortunately there is no removal tool or uninstall utility for Mac. Avast Uninstall Utility (AvastClear) is available only for Windows.