Avast is regularly (approximately every month) releasing program updates for its core antivirus products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security and Premier). Having the latest update installed is very vital and overall improves your security level. There are basically two types of Avast updates:
- Program Version Update – Contains program related bug fixes, improvements and new features. Update is manual and requires user action. But from version 12.1.2272 program updates are automatic.
- Virus Definitions Update – Contains latest virus definitions for better detection rates. Update is fully automatic on a daily basis. To learn more about the VPS updates check out our guide ‘How to Manually/Offline Update Avast Virus Definitions (VPS)‘.
To download the program version update you have two options:
- Run the manual update yourself which requires Internet connection. For doing so please follow our guide ‘How to Update Your Avast Antivirus 2017 for Free‘.
- Run the automatic update by downloading the latest update file which works also in the offline mode. For doing so please read further.
1. Download the Latest Offline Update Files
Start by downloading the latest offline update files from the official Avast servers:
- Avast Free Antivirus 2017 (220 MB)
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2017 (221 MB)
- Avast Internet Security 2017 (228 MB)
- Avast Premier 2017 (228 MB)
Be sure to download the product you are currently using.
2. Launch the Installation Process
Locate the file avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe (file name differs based on the product) on your hard drive and launch the installation process. On the first setup screen just click on ‘Install‘ to begin the update process with the default settings. If you are advanced user click on ‘Customize‘ and you can select components to install.
Avast Antivirus 2017 Update Process – Step 1
The update/installation process is automatically minimized to task bar and you can use your PC as always. Just don’t restart or turn it off until the process is finished. Usually it takes a few minutes.
Avast Antivirus 2017 Update Process – Step 2
Once the update process is completed you need to restart your computer. You can do it right away or select a postpone time.
Avast Antivirus 2017 Update Process – Step 3
3. Check Your Avast Update Version
After you restart your computer open Avast user interface, go to settings (cog wheel icon in the top-right corner) and find the item ‘Update‘. In the update section find ‘PROGRAM’ and click on ‘Update‘. Avast will now check if you are running the latest available program version and this should be the output – ‘Program: Already up to date (current version XX.X.XXXX)‘.
Checking if Avast is Running on the Latest Version Available
Alternatively you can get to the same window by right-clicking the Avast icon in the system tray and selecting ‘Update‘ » ‘Program‘.
Going to Avast Update Settings from Windows System Tray
4. Check Avast Program Update Settings
In the same update window there are drop-down settings below the ‘Update‘ button. Click on ‘Settings‘ and make sure you have ‘Automatic update’ selected. This option will keep your Avast version automatically updated to the latest one available. Of course it requires Internet connection.
Setting Avast Automatic Program Updates
Other options of program updates are
- ‘Ask when update is downloaded‘ – Automatically downloads the program update file, but requires user action to apply/install update
- ‘Ask when an update is available‘ – Shows pop-up notifications when program update is available for download
- ‘Manual update‘ – No notification or download, user needs to download and apply update manually
Avast Program Update Release History
Cover every Avast program update which has been released would take many pages. But if you want to check it, you can find it on the official Avast forum. You will find there release dates and changes from 2012 (version 7) to the actual one.
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2016 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).
If you are updating Avast on the computer with Internet connection we rather recommend using the built-in program update feature. Check out our how-to guide on ‘How to Update Your Avast Antivirus 2017 for Free‘.
Looking for information how to update Avast virus definitions (VPS) manually/offline? Check out our how-to guide on Avast virus definitions update – How to Manually/Offline Update Avast Virus Definitions (VPS) for Free.