Avast auto-renewal is a recurring billing system which will automatically charge your credit card or PayPal account. While for the most it is very handy as you don’t need to care about your license expiration and renewal, for others it may be a big problem when they are not using Avast anymore but they are still paying for it.
Most of Avast users have no clue they signed up for the auto-renewal. It’s just a small sentence (‘Renewal: Automatic‘) they agreed during the initial purchase as seen on the screenshot below.
Pre-selected Auto-Renewal in the Avast Checkout Operated by Digital River
That’s why we put together this guide which will explain you how to cancel upcoming auto-renewal or even how to get your money back (refunded) if you have been already charged.
3 Ways How to Cancel Avast Auto-Renewal
There are three ways how to cancel the automatic renewal. You can do it yourself immediately via Digital River order portal or Avast Account – that works for both Avast official ditributors Digital River and Nexway.
Solution#1 – Disable Automatic Renewal via Order Portal (Digital River only)
If you have purchased Avast via Digital River you can use their order portal to cancel the automatic renewal.
- Go to the Digital River order portal at https://avast.com/find-order and enter your order number and password. Both can be found in the original e-mail you received after your purchase from address email@example.com with subject ‘Avast – Order Confirmation (Order #YOUR-ORDER-ID)‘. Confirm by cliking on ‘find order‘.
- Once you will find your order details click on ‘Manage Subscription‘
- On the subscription details page find line ‘Automatic Renewals‘ and switch it from ‘On‘ to ‘Off‘. Confirm by clicking on ‘Disable Automatic Renewal‘ link on the pop-up message
- Now your automatic renewal is cancelled and you should see ‘Off‘ in the ‘Automatic Renewals‘ line. Same as on the screenshot below. You should also get a confirmation e-mail with the subject ‘Avast – Auto-Renewal Feature Has Been Stopped‘
Disable Automatic Renewal via Order Portal (Digital River only)
Solution#2 – Disable Automatic Renewal via Avast Account (both Digital River and Nexway)
If for some reason (e.g. you can’t find your order) the first solution is not working, you can also disable automatic renewal through the Avast Account.
- Open your Avast application and go to Avast Account by clicking on the link ‘Sign in‘ or your e-mail in the top-right corner
- Login or create Avast Account and make sure you are using the same e-mail you have used for the original purchase
- In the ‘Licenses‘ section find button ‘Your licenses‘ and click on it
- Now you should see all your licenses associated with Avast Account (e-mail). Find the one which says ‘AUTO-RENEWAL LICENSE‘ and click on ‘Cancel Auto-renewal‘ (see the screenshot below). Confirm by clicking on ‘Deactivate Auto-renewal Subscription‘
- After you get the confirmation your automatic renewal is cancelled. You should also get a confirmation e-mail with the subject ‘Avast – Auto-Renewal Feature Has Been Stopped‘
Disable Automatic Renewal via Avast Account
Solution#3 – Ask Avast Support to Disable Automatic Renewal (both Digital River and Nexway)
In case any of the solutions above didn’t work, you can always contact Avast Support and ask them to cancel your auto-renewal.
- Go to link https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=2 and fill-in the information with the cancel request. It is important to use the same e-mail you have used during the original purchase
- Wait for the Avast Customer Service response to confirm the cancellation
How to Get a Refund for Avast Auto-Renewal Charge
If you missed the chance to cancel the automatic renewal before the actual charge, you can always ask for a refund within 30 days after you have been charged.
- Go to link https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=2 and fill-in the information with the refund request. It is important to use the same e-mail you have used during the original purchase
- Wait for the Avast Customer Service response to confirm the refund
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2017 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).