This step-by-step manual explains how to install Avast Free Antivirus 2015 (version 10). It assumes you have the software already downloaded and ready to install on your hard drive or external device like a flash drive. For those who like videos, there is a fantastic commentated ‘Video Manual‘ on this page.
Avast antivirus system requirements are nothing special, and really everyone meets them these days, but if you’re not sure you can check them here.
1. Run the Setup File and Select Installation Type
Locate the file called ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe,‘ or ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe,‘ on your computer and start the three-step installation. If the install wizard is not in your language, you can change it in the top-right corner. Your selected language will also be the one in which you will have the Avast user interface, though you can change the language anytime later in the program settings.
On the first screen you have to choose the type of installation:
- Regular installation (recommended) – Avast will be installed with the default set of components (including SecureLine VPN, GrimeFighter, and Software Updater).
- Custom installation (for advanced users) – You can select which components, shields, and languages you want to install. This is useful when you don’t want to install SecureLine VPN or GrimeFighter.
Unless you are an advanced user, we recommend to go with the regular installation.
At the bottom of the first step, Avast usually offers some additional products like Google Chrome, Dropbox, or Avast EasyPass. So be sure to check this option as well and decide whether or not you want that product to be installed.
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation Step 1/3 – Choosing the Type of Installation
2. Read and Accept End User License Agreement (EULA)
In the second part of the first step, you have to accept the Avast End User License Agreement (so called ‘EULA’). You may read it in the full PDF version, but in short – AVAST collects information from your computer and may share it with a third party; on the other hand, this information can’t be used for targeting or identifying your person. So really no big deal. If you agree and accept the new EULA, just click on the blue button ‘Continue’.
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation Step 1/3 – Accepting EULA
3. Actual Installation Process
During the secondstep, you actually do not have to do anything. You can just sit and watch the progress bar show Avast being downloaded, creating a system restore point, and the Avast files being copied onto your computer. Also, you can read useful information about the new Avast 2015 features like Home Network Security.
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation Step 2/3 – Actual Installation Process
4. Installation Finished
Congratulations, now you should have Avast antivirus 2015 completely installed on your computer. In the last step just click on ‘Done’ and Avast will launch a quick scan to check your computer for viruses and malware.
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation Step 3/3 – Installation Finished
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation – Quick Scan After Installation
During the quick scan, you can check the Avast tutorial, which will explain to you the main features and benefits of using Avast Free Antivirus 2015.
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 Installation – Tutorial After Installation
After the quick scan is finished, we recommend to restart your system.
5. Register for a Free 1-Year License
Once the installation is complete, we recommend to do a free registration so you can use the product for one year. Check our guide here – ‘Register for Free and Get License Key for Your Avast Antivirus 2015‘.
Video Manual – How to Install & Register a Free License for Avast Free Antivirus 2015
System Requirements for Avast Antivirus 2016
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- 256 MB RAM memory or above
- 1.5 GB of free hard disk space
- Please note that Avast antivirus 2016 (version 11) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
- These system requirements are relevant for all Avast core products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier)
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2015 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.