This step-by-step manual guide explains how to install Avast Free Antivirus 2016 (version 11) software on all major Windows versions running on your PC or laptop – Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP (32-bit or 64-bit). It assumes you have the software already downloaded and ready to install on your hard drive or external device like a flash drive. For those who like videos, there is a fantastic commentated ‘Video Manual‘ on this page.
Avast antivirus system requirements are nothing special, and really everyone meets them these days, but if you’re not sure you can check them here.
Even though this guide is focused on the Avast Free Antivirus, you may also use it when installing other Avast products like Pro Antivirus, Internet Security or Premier.
1. Run the Avast Setup File (Installer) and Select Installation Type
Locate the installer file called ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe,‘ or ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe,‘ on your computer and start the three-step installation. Before the installation wizard is launched you will see a following loading screen for a few seconds:
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 – Loading Installation Wizard
If the install wizard is not in your language, you can change it in the top-right corner. Your selected language will also be the one in which you will have the Avast user interface, though you can change the language anytime later in the program settings.
On the first screen you have to choose the type of installation:
- Regular installation (recommended) – Avast will be installed with the default set of components (including SecureLine VPN, Cleanup, Browser Cleanup, Passwords, and Software Updater).
- Custom installation (for advanced users) – You can select which components, shields, and languages you want to install. This is useful when you don’t want to install some specific component like SecureLine VPN or Cleanup.
Full list of Avast 2016 components includes (all are installed by default with the regular installation):
- Shields – File Shield, Web Shield, Mail Shield
- Security Tools – Remote Assistance, Rescue Disk, Software Updater, Home Network Security, Secure Virtual Machines (ex-NG)
- Additional Products – Browser Protection (Plugin), SecureLine VPN, Cleanup, Browser Cleanup, Passwords, Desktop gadget
Unless you are an advanced user, we recommend to go with the regular installation.
At the bottom of the first step, Avast usually offers some additional products like Google Chrome, Dropbox, or Avast Passwords. So be sure to check this option as well and decide whether or not you want that product to be installed.
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 Installation Step 1/3 – Choosing the Type of Installation
2. Actual Avast Installation Process
During the second step, you actually do not have to do anything. You can just sit and watch the progress bar show Avast being downloaded, creating a system restore point, and the Avast files being copied onto your computer. The installation process will take around 2-3 minutes, depending on your Internet connection, but you can use your computer and do any other activity.
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 Installation Step 2/3 – Actual Installation Process
3. Avast Installation Finished (Now You Are Protected)
Congratulations, now you should have Avast antivirus 2016 completely installed on your computer. In the last step just click on ‘Continue‘ and finish the installation process.
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 Installation Step 3/3 – Installation Finished
If you care about your privacy you can opt-out from any data collection by going to Avast settings » ‘Privacy‘ and un-checking options ‘Participate in the Avast community‘ and ‘Participate in data sharing‘.
5. Review Additional Avast Products
In the last step of the installation process, you can review additional Avast products. Typically the Avast Free Mobile Security for Android. To close the windows click on the link ‘No, I don’t want to protect my Android phone‘.
At this point we strongly recommend to restart computer so Avast is fully integrated and configured for your system.
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 Post Installation – Additional Avast Products (Avast Free Mobile Security)
6. Avast Installation Completed – Register for a Free 1-Year License Key (Activation Code)
Once the installation is complete and system is restarted, we recommend to do a free registration so you can use the product for one year. Check our guide here – ‘Register for Free and Get License Key (Activation Code) for Your Avast Antivirus 2016‘.
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 is Completely Installed and Ready to Use
Video Manual – How to Install & Register a Free License for Avast Free Antivirus 2016
Known Avast Installation Errors/Problems
Here we will list all known errors/problems occurring during the Avast installation process and solutions how to fix them. If you are having any troubles with the installation, please let us know in the comments below.
System Requirements for Avast Antivirus 2016 on PC or laptop
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- 256 MB RAM memory or above
- 1.5 GB of free hard disk space
- Please note that Avast antivirus 2016 (version 11) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
- These system requirements are relevant for all Avast core products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier)
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2016 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.