This step-by-step manual explains how to install avast! Free Antivirus 2014 (version 9). It assumes you have the software already downloaded and ready to install on your hard drive or external device like flash disk. For those who like videos there is a really great commented ‘Video Manual‘ down on this page.
avast! antivirus system requirements are nothing special and really everyone meets them these days, but if you’re not sure you can check them here.
1) Run the Setup File and Select Installation Type
Locale the file called ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe’ or ’avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe’ on your computer and start the three-step installation. If the install wizard is not in your language you can change it in the top-right corner. Selected language will also be the one in which you will have the avast! user interface. Though you can change the language anytime later in the program settings.
On the first screen you have to choose the type of installation
- Regular installation (recommended) – avast! will be installed with default set of componenets (including SecureLine VPN, GrimeFigther, and Software Updater)
- Custom installation (for advanced users) – You can select which components, shields, and languages you want to install
Unless you are an advanced user, we recommend to go with the regular installation.
At the bottom of the first step avast! usually offers some additional products like Google Chrome, Dropbox, or avast! EasyPass. So be sure to check this option as well and decide whether you want that product to be installed or not.
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation Step 1/3 – Choosing the Type of Installation
2) Read and Accept End User License Agreement (EULA)
In the second step you have to accept the avast! End User License Agreement (so called ‘EULA’). You may read it in the full PDF version but in a short – AVAST collects information from your computer and may share them with the third party; on the other hand those information can’t be used for targeting or identifying your person. So really no big deal. If you agree and accept the new EULA, just click on the blue button ‘Continue’.
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation Step 2/3 – Accepting EULA
3) Actual Installation Process
During the third step you actually do not have to do anything. You can just sit and watch the progress bar how avast! is creating system restore point and how the avast! files are being copied onto your computer. Also you can read useful information about avast! features.
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation – Actual Installation Process
4) Installation Finished
Congratulations, now you should have avast! antivirus 2014 completely installed on your computer. In the last step just click on ‘Done’ and avast! will launch a quick scan to check your computer.
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation Step 3/3 – Installation Finished
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation – Quick Scan After Installation
During the quick scan you can check the avast! tutorial which will explain you the main features and benefits of using avast! Free Antivirus 2014.
avast! Free Antivirus 2014 Installation – Tutorial After Installation
After the quick scan is finished, we recommend to restart your system.
5) Register for a Free 1-Year License
Once the installation is complete, we recommend to do a free registration so you can use the product for 1 year. Check our guide here – ‘Register for Free and Get License for Your avast! Antivirus 2014‘.
System Requirements for avast! Antivirus 2014
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor Intel Pentium III or above
- 128 MB RAM memory or above
- 400 MB free hard disk space, or 700 MB if also Google Chrome will be installed
- Please note that avast! antivirus 2014 (version 9) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
Although we have used avast! Free Antivirus 2014 screenshots in this article, steps are applicable for all avast! antivirus solutions (i.e. avast! Pro Antivirus, avast! Internet Security, or avast! Premier).