This step-by-step manual guide explains how to install Avast Free Antivirus 2018 (version 12) software on all major Windows versions running on your PC or laptop – Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP (32-bit or 64-bit). It assumes you have the software already downloaded and ready to install on your hard drive or external device like a flash drive. For those who like videos, there is a fantastic commentated ‘Video Manual‘ on this page.
Avast antivirus system requirements are nothing special, and really everyone meets them these days, but if you’re not sure you can check them here.
The whole installation process is really simple and even non technical users will be able to finish. Before you start please make sure you have the administrator access to Windows, without it’s not possible to start the installation process. If you don’t have you need to ask your IT guy to do it for you (it can be also done remotely via TeamViewer for example).
Even though this guide is focused on the Avast Free Antivirus, you may also use it when installing other Avast products like Pro Antivirus, Internet Security or Premier.
1. Run the Avast Setup File (Installer) and Select Installation Type
Locate the installer file called ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe,‘ or ‘avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe,‘ on your computer and start the three-step installation. Before the installation wizard is launched you will see a following loading screen for a few seconds:
If the install wizard is not in your language, you can change it in the top-right corner. Your selected language will also be the one in which you will have the Avast user interface, though you can change the language anytime later in the program settings.
On the first screen you have to choose the type of installation:
- Regular installation (recommended) – Avast will be installed with the default set of components (including SecureLine VPN, Cleanup, Browser Cleanup, SafeZone Browser, Passwords, and Software Updater).
- Custom installation (for advanced users) – You can select which components, shields, and languages you want to install. This is useful when you don’t want to install some specific component like SecureLine VPN or Cleanup.
Full list of Avast 2018 components includes (all are installed by default with the regular installation):
- Security – File Shield, Behavior Shield, Web Shield, Mail Shield, Software Updater, Browser Cleanup, Rescue Disc, Wi-Fi Inspector, SafeZone Browser, Avast Online Security, SafePrice
- Privacy – SecureLine VPN, Passwords
- Performance – Cleanup, Game Mode
Unless you are an advanced user, we recommend to go with the regular installation.
At the bottom of the first step, Avast usually offers some additional products like Google Chrome, Dropbox, or Avast Passwords. So be sure to check this option as well and decide whether or not you want that product to be installed.
2. Actual Avast Installation Process
During the second step, you actually do not have to do anything. You can just sit and watch the progress bar show Avast being downloaded, creating a system restore point, and the Avast files being copied onto your computer. The installation process will take around 2-3 minutes, depending on your Internet connection, but you can use your computer and do any other activity.
3. Avast Installation Finished (Now You Are Protected)
Congratulations, now you should have Avast antivirus 2018 completely installed on your computer. In the last step just click on ‘Continue‘ and finish the installation process.
5. Review Additional Avast Products
In the last step of the installation process, you can review additional Avast products. Typically the Avast Free Mobile Security for Android. To close the windows click on the link ‘No, I don’t want to protect my Android phone‘.
At this point we strongly recommend to restart computer so Avast is fully integrated and configured for your system.
6. Avast Installation Completed – Register for a Free 1-Year License Key (Activation Code)
Once the installation is complete and system is restarted, we recommend to do a free registration so you can use the product for one year. Check our guide here – ‘Register for Free and Get License Key (Activation Code) for Your Avast Antivirus 2018‘.
Video Manual – How to Install & Register a Free License for Avast Free Antivirus 2018
Known Avast Installation Errors/Problems
Here we will list all known errors/problems occurring during the Avast installation process and solutions how to fix them. If you are having any troubles with the installation, please let us know in the comments below.
System Requirements for Avast Antivirus 2018 on PC or laptop
- Operating system Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- 256 MB RAM memory or above
- 1.5 GB of free hard disk space
- Please note that Avast antivirus 2016 (version 11) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
- These system requirements are relevant for all Avast core products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier)
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2018 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).