If you are using any Avast Antivirus, including the free version and some of the major desktop e-mail clients (Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Zimbra Desktop, eM Client, Inky, Claws Mail), Avast automatically inserts e-mail footer signature into all your clean outgoing messages.
From the version 2016 also if you are using a web-based client (Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook Mail, Live Mail) in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. The only browser in which the Avast signature is not inserted is Opera.
Apparently, the similar tactic is being used by the AVG Antivirus.
- Right-click on the Avast orange icon in the Windows system tray and open Avast UI
- Go to Settings
- Un-check ‘Enable Avast email signature’ and confirm
- Restart your browser or e-mail client
Read more detailed steps and other options including screenshots below
It’s a part of the Avast Mail Shield, not the Anti-spam feature. The message is same for all users:
- ‘Virus-free‘ if you are using Avast 2017 or Avast 2018
- ‘This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast‘ if you are using Avast 2016
- ‘This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software‘ if you are using Avast 2014 or 2015
- ‘This email is free from viruses and malware because Avast Antivirus protection is active‘ if you are using Avast version 8 or older
The message can’t be customized, only turned on/off. By default, it’s always enabled.
If you don’t like this message, there is a simple way how to disable it and remove it from your e-mails. Just follow the removal steps below.
Removal Steps for Avast 2018 (Latest Version)
Disabling the signature is really easy if you are using the latest version of Avast 2018. Doesn’t matter if you have the Mail Shield installed or not. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Go to your Avast interface by double-clicking on the orange icon in the Windows system tray. Or you can find Avast in the Windows Start menu » All Programs » Avast
- Once you’re in go to ‘Settings‘ by clicking on the cogwheel icon in the top-right corner of Avast user interface
- In the ‘General‘ section find the option ‘Enable Avast email signature‘, simply un-check it and confirm by clicking on the ‘OK‘ button. See the screenshot below for reference
- Restart your browser and that’s all – your e-mails won’t contain the Avast e-mail footer signature anymore
If you can’t find the settings directly in the ‘General’ section, you are probably using older version of Avast. Read the steps below which works for older versions.
Removal Steps for Avast 2016.11.1.2241 and Older, if you Have the Avast Mail Shield Installed
Follow these steps if you have the Avast Mail Shield component installed on your computer. If not follow the instructions in the next section ‘If you Have NOT the Avast Mail Shield Installed‘.
1. Open the Avast Interface
- Go to your Avast interface by double-clicking on the orange icon in the Windows system tray. Or you can find Avast in the Windows Start » All Programs » Avast
- Once you’re in go to ‘Settings’ » ‘Active Protection’ » Click on the ‘Customize‘ link in the ‘Mail Shield‘ row
2. Disable the Avast E-mail Footer Signature
- Once the ‘Mail Shield Settings‘ windows will open, go to ‘Behavior‘ (second item from the top)
- Now just look for ‘Insert note into clean message (outgoing)‘, simply un-check it, and confirm by clicking on the ‘OK‘ button
- Restart your computer
- That’s all – your e-mails won’t contain the Avast e-mail footer signature anymore
Removal Steps 2016.11.1.2241 and Older, if you Have NOT the Avast Mail Shield Installed
If you don’t have Avast Mail Shield component installed you can either add it, change the settings and remove or you can change the settings via EmailShield.ini file.
Solution #1 – Add the Mail Shield Component, Change Settings and Remove It
- Navigate through the Start menu to ‘Programs‘ » ‘Programs and Features‘
- Find Avast in the list and click on ‘Change‘
- Avast Antivirus Setup will appear, click on ‘Modify‘ and check (if un-checked) the ‘Mail Shield‘ component. Click on ‘Change‘ and wait until the setup finishes. See the screenshot below for the reference
- Follow the steps above in the section ‘If you Have the Avast Mail Shield Installed‘ to disable the mail signature
- (Optional) Remove the Avast Mail Shield component same way you have added it
Solution #2 – Change Settings in the EmailShield.ini File
- Open Windows Start menu and search for ‘notepad‘
- When the Notepad application appears (blue notebook icon), right-click on it and select ‘Run as administrator‘
- In the Notepad go to ‘File‘ » ‘Open…‘ (or press CTRL + O) and put there following path
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini
- Once the file is opened find these rows and change its values to zeros:
- Save the file by going to ‘File‘ » ‘Save‘ (or press CTRL + S) and confirm Avast dialog if needed
In case the file EmailShield.ini doesn’t exist, create it with the following contents and put it on the exact location from step 1. Alternatively you can download EmailShield.ini here (right-click » save link as).
Content of the EmailShield.ini File for Disabling the Avast E-mail Signature
Big thanks for this solution to liam-89, who have posted it on the Avast Forum.
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2018 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).
Steps for removal will work on the following e-mail clients:
- Desktop – Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, eM Client, Windows Live Mail, Inky, Claws Mail, Zimbra
- Web-based – Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook Mail, Windows Live Mail
And on following browsers – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer