IMPORTANT NOTE: Please note this guide is already outdated as there has been a release of version 2014. For a step-by-step guide on update your avast! to version 2014 check the new guide ‘How to Update Your avast! Antivirus Version 2014‘.
So the new program version 8 (released in 2013) is out there and you’re wondering how to update your avast! antivirus. Luckily you’re avast! user and you can do the program update completely for free. With some other vendors you would need to actually pay for the update but not with avast!.
1) Check Your Current Program Version
Open the main window of your avast! program and locate the information about the current version. In version 7 it’s simply called a “program version”. If you aren’t sure if you have the latest version you can compare it with program version release history on this page below. You can skip step 2 if you click on “Update” link.
2) Perform the Program Update
If you version is out-dated or if you aren’t sure you can easily check if there is a newer one available. Go to the “MAINTENANCE” tab, section “Update” and click on the button “Update Program”. Then program will automatically download the latest version of your avast! antivirus.
3) Restart Your Computer
Once the program is updated you need to restart your computer. You can do it by yourself or click on button “Yes” after the program update is downloaded.
4) Enjoy Peace of Mind with the Latest Version
After restart you should have the latest version of your avast! antivirus. On the image below you can see main window of the avast! Free Antivirus version 8.
If you follow instructions in this guide, you can update all avast! antivirus solutions (i.e. avast! Pro Antivirus, avast! Internet Security, or avast! Premier), not just avast! Free Antivirus.
Switching Back to Previous/Older Version
If for any reason you would like to go back to your previous version, you need to uninstall the program, get the installer for previous version, and install avast! again. Getting the installer for your previous version may be quite hard as avast! officialy offers only the latest version to download. However you can still find older version on some servers like FileHippo (see right column called “Old Versions”).
Release History of Program Versions
Latest Program Version: 8.0.1483 released 2013-03-07
Version 8 Program Updates
- 8.0.1483 released 2013-03-07
- 8.0.1482 released 2013-02-28
Version 7 Program Updates
- 7.0.1474 released 2012-10-31
- 7.0.1473 released 2012-10-23
- 7.0.1466 released 2012-08-21
- 7.0.1456 released 2012-07-03
- 7.0.1451 released 2012-06-28
- 7.0.1426 released 2012-03-07
- 7.0.1407 released 2012-02-23
Version 6 Program Updates
- 6.0.1367 released 2011-11-28
- 6.0.1289 released 2011-09-07
- 6.0.1203 released 2011-07-04
- 6.0.1125 released 2011-05-11
- 6.0.1091 released 2011-04-18
- 6.0.1000 released 2011-02-23
Version 5 Program Updates
- 5.1.889 released 2011-01-13
- 5.1.864 released 2010-12-31
- 5.0.677 released 2010-09-07
- 5.0.594 released 2010-06-28
- 5.0.545 released 2010-05-06
- 5.0.507 released 2010-04-14
- 5.0.462 released 2010-03-09
Source: Official avast! Release History