IMPORTANT NOTE: Please note this guide is already outdated as there has been a release of version 2014. For a step-by-step guide on update your avast! to version 2014 check the new guide ‘How to Update Your avast! Antivirus Version 2014‘.
So the new program version 2014 (or version 9) is out there and you’re wondering how to update your avast! antivirus. Luckily you’re avast! user and you can do the program update completely for free. With some other vendors you would need to actually pay for the update but not with avast!.
1) Begin the Program Update Process
If you version is out-dated or if you aren’t sure you can easily check if there is a newer one available. Go to the “MAINTENANCE” tab, section “Update” and click on the button “Update Program”. Then program will automatically download the latest version of your avast! antivirus.
Or you can also perform the program update via system tray where you will find orange avast! icon, right-click on it, select ‘Update’, and then ‘Program’. Sometimes avast! will display a blue pop-up message informing you about the new program version, and a direct ‘Update’ button.
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – avast! Free Antivirus 8 Update Window
2) Select Update Type
Some users may get asked to select an update type. There are two options – a) standard program update to avast! Free Antivirus 2014 (grey button), or b) update and upgrade to advanced security solution avast! Internet Security free for 20 days (blue button). It’s totally up to you which update you will pick. But it may be useful the checkout all the advanced features for secure shopping in avast! Internet Security for free.
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – Selecting Type of Update
3) Confirm EULA
With the new version also the End User License Agreement (EULA) has been updated. You may read it in the full PDF version but in a short – AVAST collects information from your computer and may share them with the third party; on the other hand those information can’t be used for targeting or identifying your person. So really no big deal. If you agree and accept the new EULA, just click on the blue button ‘Continue’.
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – Confirming the new EULA
4) Update the Program and Restart Your Computer
Wait until program finishes the update, and after that just restart your computer. You can do it by yourself or click on button “Yes” after the program update is downloaded. Do not try to use avast! before you will do the restart.
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – Actual Update Progress
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – Restaring Your PC
5) Enjoy Peace of Mind with the Latest Version
After restart you should see a welcome screen which gives you information about all the new features in avast! 2014. Also you can enter the recommendation program and get paid-for avast! Internet Security for free. Anyway after cliking on the ‘Continue’ button, you should have the latest version of avast! antivirus.
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – Welcome Screen in avast! 2014
Updating Your avast! to Version 2014 – avast! 2014 Main Window
If you follow instructions in this guide, you can update all avast! antivirus solutions (i.e. avast! Pro Antivirus, avast! Internet Security, or avast! Premier), not just avast! Free Antivirus.
Switching Back to Previous/Older Version
If for any reason you would like to go back to your previous version, you need to uninstall the program, get the installer for previous version, and install avast! again. Getting the installer for your previous version may be quite hard as avast! officialy offers only the latest version to download. However you can still find older version on some servers like FileHippo (see right column called “Old Versions”).
Release History of Program Versions
Latest Program Version: 2014.9.0.2008 released 2013-11-11
Version 2014 Program Updates
- 2014.9.0.2008 released 2013-11-11
- 2014.9.0.2007 released 2013-11-01
- 2014.9.0.2006 released 2013-10-15
Version 8 Program Updates
- 8.0.1501 released 2013-11-01
- 8.0.1500 released 2013-10-15
- 8.0.1497 released 2013-09-02
- 8.0.1489 released 2013-05-09
- 8.0.1488 released 2013-05-02
- 8.0.1483 released 2013-03-07
- 8.0.1482 released 2013-02-28
Version 7 Program Updates
- 7.0.1474 released 2012-10-31
- 7.0.1473 released 2012-10-23
- 7.0.1466 released 2012-08-21
- 7.0.1456 released 2012-07-03
- 7.0.1451 released 2012-06-28
- 7.0.1426 released 2012-03-07
- 7.0.1407 released 2012-02-23
Version 6 Program Updates
- 6.0.1367 released 2011-11-28
- 6.0.1289 released 2011-09-07
- 6.0.1203 released 2011-07-04
- 6.0.1125 released 2011-05-11
- 6.0.1091 released 2011-04-18
- 6.0.1000 released 2011-02-23
Version 5 Program Updates
- 5.1.889 released 2011-01-13
- 5.1.864 released 2010-12-31
- 5.0.677 released 2010-09-07
- 5.0.594 released 2010-06-28
- 5.0.545 released 2010-05-06
- 5.0.507 released 2010-04-14
- 5.0.462 released 2010-03-09
Source: Official avast! Release History