New Avast 2018 December Update has been released and you may be wondering how to update your Avast Antivirus. Luckily, you can do the program update completely for free. With some other vendors, you would need to actually pay for the update, but not with Avast.
You can perform the update process using one of these two options:
- Run the in-product update, which is pretty straightforward and it only takes five simple steps which are explained below
- Alternatively you can Download the Avast 2018 Offline Update Files and apply update manually
- Right-click on the Avast orange icon in the Windows system tray and open Avast UI
- Go to Settings » Update » PROGRAM and click on Update
- Once update is finished restart your computer
Read more detailed steps and other options including screenshots below
1. Begin the Program Update Process
If your version is outdated, or if you aren’t sure, you can easily check to see if there is a newer one available. Open your Avast and go to ‘Settings‘ » ‘Update.‘ In the tab ‘PROGRAM,‘ you can check if your Avast is outdated or not – if so, you will see a message ‘A new version of the program is available!’. To begin the actual update process, simply click on the ‘Update‘ button.OUR TIP Set automatic program updates, so your Avast is always up-to-date by going to Update Settings and selecting ‘Automatic Update’.
You can also perform the program update via the system tray. There, you will find the orange Avast icon, right-click on it, select ‘Update,‘ and then ‘Program.‘
Sometimes, Avast will display a yellow pop-up message informing you about the new program version, and a direct ‘Update now‘ button.
2. Finish the Update Process and Restart Your Computer
Wait until program finishes the update, and after that just restart your computer. You can do it by yourself or by clicking on the button ‘Yes‘ after the program update is downloaded. Do not try to use Avast before you restart your computer.
3. Complete the Update Process
After you restart the computer, following post-update screen will appear. It usually contains some additional offers for Avast products like free 20-day trial of Avast Internet Security and more information about the applied program update. To close this screen and start using Avast antivirus just click on the link ‘No thanks – close this window‘.
4. Enjoy Peace of Mind with the Latest Version
That’s it, now you should be running on the latest version. You can check that by going to ‘Settings‘ » ‘Update,‘ where you shouldn’t see any message about new versions available, though you will always see the ‘Update‘ button.
Free Download of Previous/Older Version of Avast
If for any reason you would like to go back to your previous version, you need to uninstall the program, get the installer for the previous version, and install Avast again. Getting the installer for your previous version may be quite hard as Avast officially offers only the latest version for download.
However, you can still find older versions on some servers like FileHippo. Older Avast version are still receiving the virus definitions updates, same as the latest one.
Here are the free download links for the popular older versions which are still working
- Avast Home Edition v4.8 (4.8.1368) – Note that Avast Free Antivirus was called ‘Home Edition‘ back in 2009
- Avast Free Antivirus 2010 or v5 (5.1.889)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2011 or v6 (6.0.1367)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2012 or v7 (7.0.1474)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2013 or v8 (8.0.1497)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2014 or v9 (9.0.2021)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2015 or v10 (10.4.2233)
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016 or v12 (12.3.2280)
Avast Program Update Release History
Cover every Avast program update which has been released would take many pages. But if you want to check it, you can find it on the official Avast forum. You will find there release dates and changes from 2012 (version 7) to the actual one.
The Difference Between Update and Upgrade Explained
Some users are confused with the terms update vs. upgrade. So here is the difference:
- Update – Means actualization to the latest version of the same product. In the case of Avast products, it’s completely free.
- Upgrade – Means migration to a better product from the same vendor. Obviously, upgrades are paid.
Although we have used Avast Free Antivirus 2019 screenshots in this article, these steps are also applicable for all Avast Antivirus solutions (i.e. also for Avast Pro Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier) running the latest version available.
Steps are relevant for all Windows versions – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update).
Looking for information how to update Avast virus definitions (VPS) manually/offline? Check out our how-to guide on Avast virus definitions update – How to Manually/Offline Update Avast Virus Definitions (VPS) for Free.
If you’re looking for a guide on updating Avast older versions check the links below:
- How to Update Your Avast Antivirus to Version 2013 (for going from version 7 to 8)
- How to Update Your Avast Antivirus to Version 2014 (for going from version 8 to 2014)
- How to Update Your Avast Antivirus 2015 (for going from version 2015 to 2016)